MiTEP List of Common Geoscience Misconceptions
DescriptionThe Michigan Teacher Excellence Program (MiTEP) has developed a list of common geoscience misconceptions organized by the Earth Science Literacy Principles. Along with the list of misconceptions, MiTEP shares here a tool used to help teachers learn to identify and probe misconceptions, and how to guide students in reconstructing their knowledge.
The misconceptions are grouped under the following Seven Big Ideas:
- Earth scientists use repeatable observations and testable ideas to understand and explain our planet.
- Earth is 4.6 billion years old.
- Earth is a complex system of interacting rock, water, air, and life.
- Earth is continuously changing.
- Earth is a water planet.
- Life evolves on a dynamic Earth and continuously modifies Earth.
- Humans depend on Earth for resources.
All rights reserved. Used with permission.
Comments are visible to site members only.